Latest News

Back To School
Date: 
Tue, 09/30/2014 - 6:30pm to 9:00pm

Please mark your calendar and plan to attend the first Back to School Superintendent's Parent Leadership Meeting followed by the FCCPTA General Membership Meeting for the school year. We will meet Tuesday, September 30, at 6:30 PM at the Gatehouse Café, Gatehouse Administration Center, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church. The Council meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. and per our bylaws, each PTA is allowed two voting representatives. However we invite you to encourage all PTA members to attend as this will be a great opportunity for them to receive important information and to participate in the Welcome Back to School programs. Each PTA is allowed two voting representatives and voting cards will be distributed.  Business agenda items will include the FCCPTA 2014-15 Budget adoption and May 28, 2014 draft minutes adoption.

 

Location: 
Gatehouse Administration Center
8115 Gatehouse Road Cafe
22042 Falls Church, VA

Leadership

Welcome to the following officers as they begin the 2014-2016 term: 

 

Upcoming Events
Date: 
Tue, 08/12/2014 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm

Fairfax County Council invites all PTA board members to meet, share ideas, and network with PTA members while gaining knowledge about their own PTA position during our August Board Leadership Training event!  Training will be held at FCPS Gatehouse Cafe, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA.  Parking available in underground parking garage, entrance at back of building.  Take elevator to 1st floor for Cafeteria. 

This is an excellent opportunity to network, gain valuable PTA information, IRS requirements, and find out about the many resources available through PTA membership.  A group of seasoned PTA leaders will be available for you to ask and receive answers to challenging PTA questions.

Scheduled dates:

  • Tuesday, August 12, 7:00 – 9:00 PM; for local elementary school PTA leaders,

  • Tuesday, August 19, 7:00 – 9:00 PM; for local middle and high school PTSA leaders,

  • Tuesday, August 26, 7:00 – 9:00 PM; for any local PTA/PTSA leader (just in case you missed an earlier session)

 

For online Registration information, contact Debbie Kilpatrick, president@fccpta.org

 

 

 

 

 
Location: 
FCPS Gatehouse Cafe
8115 Gatehouse Road
22042 Falls Church, VA
Action Alert

. . . If education is a top priority, why are schools only receiving 26% of the additional revenue, while the county is keeping the remaining 74%? We demand a fair allocation of funds. FULLY FUND FCPS!

FCCPTA continues to work with other education stakeholders in our county. We are working with a group that is identified only by having a common interest and a name of Fully Fund Fairfax. FCCPTA and Fully Fund Fairfax encourages our members to contact their Supervisor and ask this question...If education is a top priority, why are schools only receiving 26% of the additional revenue, while the county is keeping the remaining 74%? Let them know we demand a fair allocation of funds. FULLY FUND FCPS! Use this link to identify local Fairfax elected officials. http://www.fccpta.org/TakeAction

Our education stakeholder partners share a common goal, to Fully Fund FCPS!

Fully Fund Fairfax is committed to helping Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) obtain the funding it needs to ensure all students receive a world-class education.

FCPS has spent the last five years making cuts to "weather the recession" and now requires relief from the austerity budgets that threaten to dismantle one of the finest public education systems in the country. For example:

  • Teacher pay in Fairfax is not competitive with surrounding districts.
  • The list of unfunded and/or underfunded programs, especially those for disadvantaged students, is long and growing.
  • Current class sizes are already too large in many schools.

Without a significant investment of funds from Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Fairfax County is in danger of losing the main driver, our economic development and the key to our future.

More information to include a prepared letter to send to Board of Supervisors can be found at: sites.google.com/site/fullyfundfcps/

PTAs Can Advocate!  We do need to be careful to protect our 501(c)(3) categorization. What that means is that a PTA cannot campaign for an individual political candidate or political party. PTAs cannot donate funds for those campaign purposes. However, YOU can advocate for children, schools, and education more generally. The National PTA was created as an "advocacy" organization to be the voice for all children. www.pta.org PTA members can "advocate" for a policy issue. Examples are: Support of school funding! Reduce class size! Support teacher staff compensation! Healthy Lifestyles for students, and Later School Start Times! If you see our national PTA, state PTA, and FCCPTA websites (all accessible from www.fccpta.org) -- you will notice all the approved resolutions, policy statements, and policy positions, all of which we can legally "advocate" for, as can our local PTA units in Fairfax. It is important to note, that If PTAs don't advocate for the issues, who will?

Please take time to continue reading this newsletter for important information including next steps, timelines and contact information. I can not express strongly enough the need for you to share this information with your membership. Additional information is included in this newsletter and also on our website at www.fccpta.org. We also share information on our facebook page at www.facebook.com/FairfaxCountyCouncilPTA.

Please direct your email questions to: David Edelman, Budget Chair, davidedelman@verizon.net, Pam Kondé. Vice President of Advocacy, pkonde@cox.net, or Ramona Morrow, President, president@fccpta.org.

Continue to share FCCPTA information with your membership, neighbors, family, friends, and co-workers. Encourage them to sign on to receive our updates. By standing and working together we can make a difference and accomplish our goals.

Reflections

FCCPTA President Ramona Morrow and FCCPTA Reflections Chair David Rozsa are pleased to announce the 2013-2014 FCCPTA Reflections Awardees.  

Reflections awards levels are: Outstanding Interpretation; Award of Excellence; Award of Merit.

Arts categories include:  Dance, Film, Literature, Music, Photography, Visual Arts.

Grade level divisions are: Primary, Intermediate, Middle, High, Special Artist.

The judging process has two goals:

  1. To determine which student entries will advance to the next round of judging for our District and State Reflections Program. Each local unit may send their top winner in each category per grade division to their Council or District for their next level of judging. Send only one top winner!
  2. To award other prizes and recognition.

All PTA Reflections Program entries are judged on artistic merit, creativity, mastery of the medium and interpretation of the theme. Mastery of the medium refers to the level of skill the student demonstrates in the basic principles and techniques of the arts area. However, a well-developed concept is more important than technique. Entries are judged primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme.

Action Alert

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is often regarded as one of the best school districts in the country, but quality comes at a cost. FCPS has struggled with their budget for many years. Dr. Karen Garza, School Superintendent, recently presented a "proposed budget" that is balanced by reductions of $96.5 million and requesting an increase of $98.1 million transfer for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. For budget details, please refer to the FCCPTA paper, Maintaining Quality Schools in Fairfax County.

Here is where we -- FCCPTA, teachers, students -- need your help: Contact your Fairfax County Board of Supervisor and ask that the Board give the schools the 5.7% increase in the transfer requested. Schedule to Speak in front of the Board of Supervisors or School Board Contact your Senator and Delegate at the Virginia General Assembly and ask for more funding of K-12 education. Specifically, ask for Fairfax County to be held "harmless" on the adjustment of the LCI (Local Composite Index). Attend the Virginia PTA's PTA Day on Monday, January 27 to advocate for public education at the Virginia General Assembly. Click HERE For The FCCPTA CALL TO ACTION. It includes details for contacting elected officials.

Questions: Contact FCCPTA President: Ramona Morrow, president@fccpta.org; VP of Advocacy, Pam Kondé, vp.advocacy@fccpta.org, or David Edelman, Budget Chair, budget@fccpta.org. Check our website for updates or to sign-up for our newsletter at www.fccpta.org.

Subscribe to Fairfax County Council of PTAs RSS