Virginia PTA 2018 Annual Meeting/Advocacy Conference and PTA Day at the General Assembly
Register now to attend the inaugural VA PTA Annual Meeting & Advocacy Conference scheduled for January 27-28, 2018 at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, Glen Allen and at the Virginia General Assembly.
- The primary purpose of the Annual Meeting is to conduct the business of the association – vote on bylaws amendments, pass resolutions and set the legislative priorities. This is an opportunity for delegates to influence the direction of VirginiaPTA for the next year.
- Advocacy makes a difference for our children! Policymakers make important decisions that affect education opportunities for current and future generations of children, and each of us can influence these decisions.
- Check out some of our Featured workshop topics:
✓ Feature Workshops
- Advancing Adequacy and Equitable School Funding During the 2018 Legislative Session
- Empowering Parents in Special Education
- Nutrition and Physical Activity: What Parents Can Do
- Fighting Childhood Hunger with School Nutrition
- Parents for Healthy Kids: New Resource for Parents
- Civic Engagement: How to Organize a Candidate Forum
- Advocacy Training for Healthy Schools
- Increasing STEM Literacy through Family Engagement
- Civic Engagement: High School Voter Registration Drive Challenge
- WATCH D.O.G.S.: Building Family and Community Engagement Through Fathers and Father-figures
Learn more about the conference schedule here!
Save the Date: Engaging Families Forward Summit
When: Fri, April 13, 2018, 6:00pm – 8:30pm & Sat, April 14, 2018, 9am – 2pm
Where: Thomas Jefferson High School, 6560 Braddock Rd, Alexandria, VA 22312, USA (map)
Description: Engaging Families Forward Summit
FCCPTA General Membership and Superintendent Meeting, Gatehouse Cafe
March 20th, 2018, 6:30 pm
What is the FCCPTA?
The Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA) is an active partner with its local school units and the Fairfax County community at large as we work together to provide our children with the highest quality educational environment and opportunities available.
PTAs/PTSAs are a network that provides much more value-added services than PTOs as PTOs are stand-alone units. PTAs/PTSAs do not exist for fundraising alone or staying within a single school. PTAs/PTSAs are a network across the community — teaming up together for training and advocacy.
FCCPTA does the following:
- We hold annual training for presidents, treasurers, secretaries, communication chairs, volunteer coordinators, and more.
- We sponsor programs, including the Fairfax County Spelling Bee and Reflections.
- We have a Facebook group where we bounce ideas off each other and ask questions.
- Where does one find the license to show a movie at school? who has recommendations for vendors for cultural arts programs? sports, etc? how do you do an an audit? There are many!
- We advocate.
In December of 2017, we held our first Advocacy Event at FCPS Headquarters with members of the FCPS School Board and the Board of Supervisors. We held three panels and breakout sessions with our individual district representatives. It was scheduled to last until 9 pm, but many stayed until almost 10 pm to keep talking with their representatives.
We serve on committees across FCPS, including the FCPS Calendar Committee and the Superintendent Search Committee.
FCCPTA is part of the oldest and largest volunteer child advocacy organization in the nation – the PTA! Because of our efforts, our children have opportunities to excel and take advantage of so many wonderful programs.
We exist to positively impact the lives of all children and families by representing our members and empowering and supporting them with skills in advocacy, leadership, and communication.
We exist to:
- Foster communication between and among units to share best practices and common concerns.
- Provide a unified, effective voice in relationships with the School District(s) and community partners which include our local city, county and state offices and officials, our local business community, parents and the community at large.
- Link the Fairfax County area PTAs with the resources, support and advocacy from the Northern Virginia District, Virginia, & National PTA organizations.
- Be the leading voice advocating for quality public education and a nurturing environment for all of our children.
FCCPTA – Together We Touch the Future!