FAIRFAX COUNTY 2018 HIGH SCHOOL VOTER REGISTRATION CHALLENGE
We did it! Through our collective efforts, more than 5,000 seniors were registered to vote during 2017-18! For more, visit here.
The Fairfax County Council of PTAs has teamed up with the FCPS Social Studies’ Department, the Office of Elections, the League of Women Voters of Fairfax and Inspire Virginia to improve. We think that PTAs — parents, teachers, and students — are key to increasing the numbers.
WHAT IS THE CHALLENGE?
FCPS Schools will register their seniors.
What is the role of the PTA?
Publicize, publicize! Encourage your students to vote. Share the challenge on social media. Write to ask for your school’s own unique URL. Write to Beth Tudan, email@example.com, Executive Director of the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area, or Morgan O’Toole, Regional Director of Inspire VA, firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO SCHOOLS REGISTER FOR THE CHALLENGE?
All FCPS High Schools have their own unique URL, so we can track registrations. The links are listed here
We are creating a survey that schools can use to sign up and send us updates on their numbers.
Please contact Beth Tudan, email@example.com, Executive Director of the League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area, or Morgan O’Toole, Regional Director of Inspire VA, firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
All high schools in FCPS and all FCPS students who meet the voter registration requirements.
WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES FOR REGISTERING TO VOTE IN VIRGINIA?
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of Virginia
- Be at least 18 years old by the next general election. 17 year olds who will turn 18 on or before the next general election (November 6th, 2018) can register now (The math is easy this year — anyone born or on before November 6th, 2000).
- Have had voting rights restored if have ever been convicted of a felony
- Have had capacity restored if have ever been declared mentally incapacitated in a Circuit Court
We can do better! Click here for more!