FCCPTA is an active part of the National Parent and Teacher Association (National PTA), the oldest and largest volunteer child advocacy organization/network in the nation. Celebrating 120 years worth of history, the PTA was instrumental in establishing many of the benefits our nation’s children receive today, including universal and high-quality kindergarten programs, the National School Lunch Program, and a juvenile justice system. These accomplishments were achieved because of PTA’s continued mission – To make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
YOUR voice is extremely important and ADVOCACY WORKS! You may not know it but you have advocated at one time or another for your child, family member, or school. Whether that is meeting with a teacher; talking to your school principal about a concern; attending a Fairfax County School Board public hearing; or voting during an election for a candidate that supports public education, that is ALL ADVOCACY!
FCCPTA commitment is to be a proactive organization working with all elected officials in the best interest of our nation’s children and to help build relationships between PTA members and their elected officials so they can tell their stories about their students, schools, communities, and businesses.
Here are some key and important facts about Fairfax County Public Schools for you to remember:
- Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is the largest school system in the Commonwealth of Virginia and 10th largest school system in the United States with a total enrollment of more than 189,000 students;
- FCPS also has one of the largest school bus fleets in the nation with over 1600 buses that transfer over 130,000 students daily;
- FCPS has a growing and diverse student population;
- FCPS is the third largest employer in Virginia, with approximately 27,500 employees, including 24,600 full-time staff positions, more than 92 percent of which are school-based;
- FCPS has a $2.8 billion budget that is primarily funded by Fairfax County (71.2 percent) with contributions from Virginia (22.9 percent), other sources (4.3 percent) and the federal government (1.6 percent);
- More than 85 percent of the budget goes toward instruction, and the average cost per student is $14,432;
- FCPS has more than 26 million square feet of school buildings and office space, including 153 Energy Star certified schools (more than any other school system in the country); and
- FCPS is the second largest local economic driver for Fairfax County behind the federal government with a local economic impact of $2.2 billion.
Our message to Fairfax County – It is important for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and the Fairfax County School Board continue to provide invest comprehensively in the entire school system to ensure that all students are prepared for success and are ready to compete in the global economy.
Our message to PTA members – It is also important for PTA members and interested stakeholders to be aware of PTA’s legislative priorities, legislative programs for each year, develop relationships with their local policymakers, advocate on behalf of their students, schools, and school system, galvanize other members to advocate, and participate in PTA activities to become better leaders and advocates.
PTAs/PTSAs CANNOT endorse political candidates, but they can absolutely support, oppose, and otherwise fight for issues supported by the National PTA network to ensure the education, health, and safety for every child.
Here is the latest FCCPTA News:
- FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS – FY2019 PROPOSED BUDGET – To be released by the FCPS Superintendent Dr. Scott Brabrand on January 11. Here is the FCPS FY2019 budget development calendar and current budget documents.
- FAIRFAX COUNTY – FY2019 ADVERTISED (PROPOSED) BUDGET – To be released by County Executive on February 20. Here is the FY2019 budget forecast delivered to a joint meeting of the Fairfax County School Board and the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors in November 2017. Here is the FY2019 county budget timeline.
- Virginia PTA Annual Meeting/Advocacy Conference/PTA Day at the General Assembly – January 27-29 in the Richmond area. The theme is “Educate, Engage, Advocate”. Stay tuned for more details shortly!
- National PTA 2018 Legislative Conference – March 13-15, 2018 in Arlington, VA/Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. Join fellow PTA advocates from across the country for our in-depth conference focused on bringing your advocacy efforts and skill sets to the next level. Get ready to hit your advocacy goals out of the park!
FCCPTA holds standing advocacy calls for its PTA members on the first Monday of every month from 8:00PM – 8:30PM to share information about what is going on at the local, state, and national levels concerning various education issues and advocacy. This is just another great value-added service to be taken advantage of by PTA members to learn about what is going on that impacts their students, schools, and communities. The standing conference call information is 712-432-3900 and the access code is 400281#. PTA members also have opportunity to discuss and share information on various issues with other members on the calls. All calls are recorded (click on the links) and archived. Below is the 2017-2018 school year schedule.
- Monday, October 23
- Monday, November 6
- Monday, December 11 – rescheduled from Monday, December 4 due to FCCPTA Advocacy Day (#FCCPTAAdvocacyDay)
- Monday, January 8 – rescheduled from Monday, January 1 due to holiday
- Monday, February 5
- Monday, March 5
- Monday, April 2
- Monday, May 7
- Monday, June 4 – last conference call of the school year and will last from 8:00PM – 9:00PM to provide 2017-2018 school year overview
- FCCPTA BUDGET IDEAS FORM – FCCPTA seeks your input on its budget ideas form on what should be the priorities for Fairfax County Public Schools. Let us know so FCCPTA can inform your local elected officials!