The PTA Mission
PTA’s mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA) strives to be a powerful voice for all children; a relevant resource for families and communities; and a strong advocate for the education, health, and well-being of every child. FCCPTA shall cultivate meaningful partnerships among stakeholders (i.e., parents, students, school system, and community) while serving as the primary resource for parent advocacy and involvement within Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS).
Collaboration: We will work in partnership with a wide array of individuals and organizations to broaden and enhance our ability to serve and advocate for all children and families.
Commitment: We are dedicated to children’s educational success, health, and well-being through strong family and community engagement, while remaining accountable to the principles upon which our association was founded.
Diversity: We acknowledge the potential of everyone without regard, including but not limited to: age, culture, economic status, educational background, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, legal status, marital status, mental ability, national origin, organizational position, parental status, physical ability, political philosophy, race, religion, sexual orientation, and work experience.
Respect: We value the individual contributions of members, employees, volunteers, and partners as we work collaboratively to achieve our association’s goals.
Accountability: All members, employees, volunteers, and partners have a shared responsibility to align their efforts toward the achievement of our association’s strategic initiatives.
Build a stronger Fairfax County Local Units, a stronger school system and foster community
- Work with Northern Virginia District and VA PTA to establish programs geared towards parent education
- Create opportunities for all units to share in parent education programs
- Provide leadership training at our annual leadership conference in June; encourage unit leaders to attend Virginia PTA conference in July
- Provide important information to assist PTAs in having a successful school year
- Host PTA members at general membership meetings and conferences
- Promote and provide educational opportunities for PTA leaders
- Encourage attendance at our Council General Membership Meetings, which occur four times per year at the Gatehouse Café in FCPS’ headquarters in Falls Church
- Encourage PTA leaders to utilize the PTA Back to School Kit: http://www.ptakit.org/
- Host National PTA Reflections Award Program
- Host Diversity Programs
- Sponsor the Fairfax County Spelling Bee
- Offer Scholarships for high school seniors
Collaborate with FCPS and Fairfax County with Council representatives on FCPS Advisory Committees, including:
- Advanced Academic Programs Advisory Committee (AAPAC)
- Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities (ACSD)
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) Advisory Committee
- Community Action Board (CAAB)
- Family Life Education Curriculum Advisory Committee (FLECAC)
- Minority Student Achievement Oversight (MSAOC)
- School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
- Successful Youth and Child Policy Team (SCYPT)
- For more go to, fccpta.org/about-us/board-member-position-descriptions/
- Provide communications to encourage families to become informed advocates for their children and to support a quality FCPS education
- Provide updates on
Encourage Sharing & Collaboration between PTAs
- Encourage PTAs to submit applications for awards and student scholarships
- Provide opportunities at general membership meetings to highlight PTA programs
- Host FCCPTA Best Practices’ Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/FCCPTABestPractices/
Encourage voter education and civic engagement
- Partner with the League of Women Voters of Fairfax (lwv-fairfax.org) to host candidate forums and register voters
- Encourage students to participate in candidate forums
- Participate in National Voter Registration Day each September