Family and Community Engagement Conference:
FACEing the Future Together
*Scroll down for promotional flyers in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu & Vietnamese
FCCPTA, in partnership with FCPS Office of Professional Learning and Family Engagement, seeks to foster increased interaction between parents, students, educators, school administrators, education advocates, business, and community leaders to address issues vital to the academic success and well being of our children.
Family and community engagement (FACE) is at the center of everything that PTAs accomplish. The goals of family and community engagement are for each and every child and family in a community to feel as though they are part of a PTA family, and for that PTA family to be an active part of the community in which it resides.
Family and community engagement:
- Fosters and builds community within schools and other child-centered activities where all students and their families feel welcome in the school, and families are empowered to make contributions and participate in ways that will benefit the children;
- Builds and supports positive relationships between teachers, staff, administrators, families, and community partners;
- Provides an accessible support system between school and community resources and families; and
- Is proven to be essential to a child’s academic success.
Saturday, October 20, 2018
8:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
6560 Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22312
(includes continental breakfast, lunch and snacks)
Payment available via PayPal
Conference Agenda and Guest Speakers
8:00 a.m. Registration, breakfast, informational exhibits and networking
***Exhibitors will be available throughout the day ***
9:00 a.m. Plenary 1: Cultural Proficiency. Dr. Francisco Duran, FCPS Chief Academic and Equity Officer / special guest speaker Nina Thomas, Coordinator, FCPS Office of Professional Learning and Cultural Responsiveness
10:30 a.m. Workshop 1Choose among:
- Parent Liaisons and Community Outreach
- Male Engagement
- Special Education Update
- Effective Two-Way Communication
11:45 a.m. Workshop2 Choose among:
- Engaging Military Families
- Title I Schools
- Mental Health and Stress Management
1:00 p.m. Lunch and Panel Discussion: Equity in Fairfax County and its Schools
Guests include Superintendent Scott Brabrand, new FCPS Ombudsman Armando Peri, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chair Sharon Bulova and a School Board Representative. Moderated by Renee LaHuffman Jackson, Ed. D., FCPS Office of Professional Learning and Family Engagement
2:30 p.m. Plenary 2: Putting your Family Engagement Plan in ActionThis “Share Out” workshop puts participants to work, reflecting on the information they’ve learned and can apply at their schools. Small discussion groups will brainstorm next steps and share their tangible ideas with the conference.
Let’s FACE the Future Together!
Questions? Please contact Michelle Leete, firstname.lastname@example.org
FACE Conference Flyer – English